Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Question about Estrace

For those of you that have been down the IVF/FET route you may be able to help me out. I hope! My insurance pays for nothing infertility related, but they are covering some of our meds because they are for sustaining a pregnancy, not infertility related. My RE requires that I use Estrace name brand only but my insurance is not going to cover it. I thought for sure that they would, just maybe at a higher co-pay. We are using IVP pharmacy and they are by far the least expensive for the Estrace ($235) but I would still like to see about insurance covering it.

So my question is, how do I get them to cover it? I don't know why they are covering the Vivelle patch and the prometrium but not the Estrace. Any thoughts, tips or ideas???

5 comments:

  1. I know that my insurance has different rules if I use their mail order service. Would that be an option maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask for samples from the office. I received all of my estrogen as samples- patches and transdermal spray and oral pills- not Estrace brand- and I am pregnant with twins- not sure of the estrace requirement- that is a bit batty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I have heard of many clinic requiring brand name Estrace only, including the NEDC. My RE explained that the generics are all the same components but with varying degrees of fillers and strengths. Some generics are fine, others are not and since you cannot determine which one you receive from a pharmacy he prefers Estrace. I am still going to call my insurance and see if I can't get them to cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get it covered or get samples from Dr.'s office. Why doesn't insurance just work!

    ICLW

    btw - love your background, I have the same one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is weird what is oked by companies...
    Mine lets Lupron, PIo,supps, estrace, medrol.. but no stimming meds..

    I do not know where you are located but there is a pharmacy that is runned by a former IVF patient and pretty gives them at cost.. they are in Canada.. Glensheilds..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.