Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Focusing on what is really important.

I have posted in the past about how sad that I have been about never seeing myself in my child, even though Maddie looks a great deal like us. Today I was just looking at her and loving her and realized that I will see myself in her in ways that are important. It doesn't matter if she has my eyes or not, but it does matter if she has a heart for God. She may not have my curly hair but she can have my passion for reading. Maybe she won't have hubby's chin but she can have his love of laughter and sense of humor. Her physical characteristics are not important, but her character is. It is in this way that we can see ourselves in our Maddie.

9 comments:

  1. what a wonderful post! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are days that if I didn't know any better, I would swear myself that AJ is biologically mine & my dh's. He's almost 4 and so much like the both of us that it is simply unreal. Also, even though AJ is (biologically) my 2nd cousin (so some family resemblace is there) but so many people who doesn't know he's adopted comment on how much he looks like us-especially my dh! And when we look at baby pics of them both, they really do look alike! It is so weird!
    I didn't get to be pregnant with him, but he is more 'ours' than any one I could have ever given birth to. I know that sounds weird, but I really believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO TRUE!!! My husband is telling me all the time that our daughter is just like me- LOL! And our son does things that my hubby did when he was our son's age. It's funny how I will get comments wanting to know where our kids came from (their bm's are Korean) and then others will comment on how much they look like me. Bottom line is they are our kids from the day they were placed in our arms and we have never looked back.
    Thank you for sharing this post and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post- so true! But where are the pictures?? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome viewpoint!! You just wait until you hear her say something that you say ALL the time but never realized it. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jess, I really needed to hear this and be reminded of what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this, so incredibly true and makes me so hopeful for the things that we have the opportunity to impart on our children some day even if they aren't biologically ours. As you said, those are the things that are far more important than if they share our physical characteristics.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.