Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Baby Olivia is here!!!!





Olivia Shaye was born 4/29/14 at 4:07 pm via c-section. We were planning a VBAC but she had other plans (I will share that below). She was a tiny little peanut at 6 lbs, 1 oz and 19.5 in long (Maddie was 8.4 lbs and 21.5 in long so this little bit is new for us). She is perfect and healthy and we are all in love with her!!!

 I wanted to take a moment to share how God watched over me and Olivia. It truly is a miracle that everything went so well. This entire pregnancy has been easy. No problems at all. When discussing a VBAC with my OB he wanted to get a growth scan on Olivia around 36 weeks before we decided if it was a good option or not. I had difficulty progressing with Maddie and if this baby was large he was afraid that I would have some of the same problems. At the growth scan she showed to be small, but still fine. Also, the sonographer commented on my fluid levels, saying that it was great.

At my appointment on Tuesday (38w4d) the nurse put me in an available room and it just so happened to be the one with the u/s machine. Olivia has been difficult to find on the doppler so he skipped it and just did an u/s. He would not have done one had things not happened this way (it was a God thing!). He immediately noticed that my fluid was low. It should have been above 10 and mine was 2.4. This was alarming as I had not been leaking any fluid that I knew of and since my cervix was still high and closed there was no way to rehydrate or to induce. I was given 2 hours to get to the hospital and get on the monitor. Her heart beat was strong but she was at risk for the cord wrapping around her neck.

Everything looked great on the monitors and the c-section went as planned. However, the next day I talked to my OB about a future pregnancy (we will need to pay the storage fee soon and don't want to if we were unable to ttc again) and he said that I can ttc again but I cannot, under any circumstance, try for a VBAC. When he got int here he said that my uterine wall was thin where my previous incision was. Had I tried for a VBAC this time I would have almost definitely ruptured my uterus. I would have been the 1% that this happened too and would have put the baby at risk and possibly had to have had a hysterectomy. He also told me that the position of my tailbone was most likely the cause of me not progressing last time and that I probably would have broken my tailbone too.  I am so thankful that God watched over me and the baby and we are both safe and healthy.

11 comments:

  1. Wow. So glad things worked out the way they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jess and Hubby and to Big Sister Maddie! Welcome little Olivia Shaye! So happy for you all. Love that you went with Shaye as a middle name. Gorgeous name for your gorgeous, precious baby girl! Enjoy and happy that everything went well for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! She is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful! Thank God for his protection over you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thankful for God's hand of protection on both of you. She's adorable! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! Congrats! It's amazing to hear stories that remind us how God is caring for us every step of the way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that gave me chills....so thankful God was watching over both you & Olivia! She is so adorable and looks so happy with you! Enjoy that beautiful blessing Momma and hope you have a smooth recovery!
    We're also trying to decide between a VBAC or repeat c-section and that 1% scares the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.