Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Crazy Infertile Lady

Everyone has either gone to church with or is related to a "crazy lady" that never had kids and instead treats their pets like children. I have always tried to avoid the "crazy lady" stigma, but that may have changed recently.

I have to small Maltese dogs and I am bad about grooming them so they get shaved at least once a year. Last year it was near Christmas time when they were shaved and I felt bad because they were naked and cold. So I bought them sweaters. Matching sweaters. Matching Santa Claus sweaters. With hats. I know! I know! They are just dogs, but they are my "babies". And when we were traveling I was letting them out in a grassy area at a gas station and people were pointing and stopping to tell me just how cute they were. I then lamented to my hubby that I was one of "those" people. Spring came and the sweaters were put away and I was normal again.

Until now. I took my 6 year old niece to the park and she insisted upon taking her 2 Baby Alive baby dolls with her and their double stroller. When I dropped her off at home she told me to take them home with me. Never giving it a second thought I went through a drive-thru on my way home. And the lady at the window told me that my "kids" were cute. To my horror I turned around and realized that sitting in my backseat, strapped into their stroller, were my niece's babies. I just smiled, paid for my food and drove straight home.

I doubt that she thought I was a crazy infertile woman, but I sure felt like it!!!! If I start talking to myself please commit me! :-)

2 comments:

  1. That's GREAT!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. haha! And you're right, everyone knows that lady! The one I know actually shows pictures of her dogs every single time someone talks about their kids. :) Although I don't think she is infertile, just chose not to have kids.

    But that's funny. I don't think you've reached crazy yet.. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.