Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tiny steps forward

For those that have been following me you may know that we were matched with embryos a few weeks ago. The donor couple wants us to travel to their state for the FET and I have started compiling info on what needs to be done to get things started. It took over a week to finally get a response and I still don't have all of my questions answered. The biggest one being just How do I become a patient while being out of state. I do NOT want to travel there for a consult. To me that is a complete waste of time and money. I should be able to do everything here and then travel there for the actual FET. So I am still waiting on that answer but did receive a list of things that needed to be done prior to the transfer.

So far I know that we will both need a complete infectious disease screening and a PAP. I am due for my annual exam so I called to schedule that for next Friday. While there I will ask for him to order the screening. I also need a "uterine evaluation". From what I can gather via google is that this is a SIS. I think? I hope to get clarification on that and ask my OB if he can order that as well. I have a history of polyps so that should be covered. I hope! It would be nice if most of this could be done now either by my OB or ordered by him. I do not have a new RE yet and while I know I will need one I would like to get some of this done and out of the way.

I was just reading on the list of requirements that they do a mock transfer. What exactly is that? I never had to do that before. Will I need to do one if I had a successful pregnancy after an FET previously? I am not going to be happy if I have to travel down there twice. That will be an easy $500+ for the trip between the flight, hotel and rental car. Not to mention having to drive myself around in an unfamiliar city. I am the epitome of a "woman driver" and that would not be a good idea!

So we are moving forward, albeit very slowly. But that is okay. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming and taking it a step at a time works for me.

7 comments:

  1. The NEDC required a mock transfer and mandated that you travel there for it. I'm not sure if your clinic would let a local RE office do the mock or not. Basically, all it is is a test run with some of the meds (BCPs and Estrace is all I took prior) just to make sure that your body and lining cooperates properly. They will also look for any scar tissue in the uterus that may cause implantation problems. And yes, I believe that you would have to have this done even after a successful pregnancy - I know the NEDC requires it for their patients after a pregnancy because even though your body cooperated and no scar tissue was there the last time...things could be different the next time around and they just want to take precautions. I'm excited for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not have a mock transfer for my first IVF, because I used an RE who had previously done my IUI's and was familiar with my uterus. My 2nd RE did do a mock transfer -- basically it was just a measuring of the uterus prior to the transfer to make sure they could place the embryos in the ideal location. It was much like an ultrasound -- just slightly more painful. :-) I am betting they will require it if someone who is not familiar with you is doing the transfer. We did not have to take any meds or anything for our mock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the NEDC also so I did what Jennifer said. I have heard, though, that some clinics do their mock transfers just prior to the actual transfer so maybe they can do it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a mock transfer and what he did was insert the catheter that would hold the embryos in and do an u/s (just like the actual transfer) and make notes on how far in to put the catheter to have the embryos placed in just the right spot. Excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I'm finding you for the first time through ICLW. Thrilled to hear about the place you're in, and I want to wish you all the very best with your journey.

    Best wishes,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting! We did travel to our donor families state for our FET by choice but only for the actual transfer. We did a phone consult and had all of our records from our local RE sent to them. Also they wanted a mock transfer done as well but were willing to allow us to have this done at the local RE's office as well as all of our monitoring appointments and then we just flew to that state for the transfer itself and stayed for a few days after to rest & relax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I did a mock transfer they shot water up in there to see exactly which course it took so they knew how best to angle the tube for the shape of your ute. Good luck!!

    ICLW #6

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.