Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Maddie wants a sibling

My little Maddie has been going through a baby phase. Not acting like a baby, but wanting a baby. There was a baby in the nursery last week (infant less than a month old) and Maddie fell in love with her. She came running out of the nursery asking if she could have one too. When I asked what she wanted she told me a baby. it kind of broke my heart that I couldn't say "Sure! Let's do!". Then it hit me, she may never have a sibling. And if that is the case what will I tell her? I pray that I don't ever have to have that conversation, the one that shatters her little world, telling her that she will never have a brother or sister. She is young now so we have time, but not a whole lot. Kids are inquisitive. I have read of other mothers having to field these questions but never understood how painful it could be.

On a lighter note, Maddie is convinced that she is a doctor. Well, a doctor princess. She is planning on being both when she grows up. Last week when her daddy was in the hospital she wanted to help make him all better so she brought her doctor bag with her to visit him. She was adorable taking his vitals and checking his ears. The nurses got a real kick out of her.

 photo 9A86A4F0-59EF-46C6-97CA-9C614E8C3ACD-13239-000003DDA84022E0_zps6d7e22ae.jpg

11 comments:

  1. Love the picture~ that's too cute! Praying Maddie gets her wish soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda of in the same place. My Leah is a year younger, so she's not asking yet but as we process our recently failed FET, I'm thinking "what if she never gets to be a big sister?" That is a scary, terrible thought. Leah will be a great big sister, and I'm sure Maddie will too.
    I really don't believe that either of our girls will be an only child. In God's timing, they will be a blessing to their little frozen adopted siblings.
    Praying for you- for your funds for a successful transfer in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! That had to be so hard - heartbreaking - to explain. I avoid books that make references to siblings in hopes of putting off those questions as long as possible. Praying she has a sibling soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had to have several talks with my 5 year old over the course of 3 years. More so this past year, about how everything is in Gods timing, especially when she was expecting her baby brother in august when we had our third failed adoption. She now prays for them daily. Is not aware we are in our 2ww. I could not see the pain on her face again if she got her hopes up and it did not work. Alrhough we are hopeful that at least one of the 3 are sticking right now. Kids are resilient and super close to God, help her to rely on the Lord early and it will be a blessing in her life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh she is SO adorable, love that pic! What a sweet little girl! Hope everything is able to move forward for you guys so she can become a big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a cutie patootie you have there!! I hope she is able to be a big sister someday, she sounds like she would be a great little helper for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your DD is so adorable! And also pretty ambitious, wanting to be a doctor princess and all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A doctor/princess sounds like the perfect career!Maybe what she actually means in RE? A nice mix between magical and pragmatic! Sounds like the type of doc us Ifers could use right about now! (ICLW)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi from ICLW! Maddie is just adorable! I am inspired by your story! I am an IF survivor and I'm in the early stages of writing a book of inspiring IF stories. I would love to include a donor embryo adoption. If you would be interested in contributing your story, please contact me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the absolute hardest thing about having a miracle and not being able to / deciding not not / still trying for another one. We decided to stop trying just over a year ago and it breaks my heart when my little man asks me for a baby brother or sister.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.