Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Um, no, I don't steal kids

Most of us have seen the news about the missing baby in KC, MO. I know that we are all touched by this story, worried for this little baby. I was recently talking to someone about it, discussing what we think happened. The other person stated that they hoped it was some childless couple that took her. Now, I will admit to seeing a baby left unattended in a shopping cart and thought about how easy it would be to snatch them. Most honest infertiles have thought this. Never seriously, just a fleeting thought. And had Lisa been taken from a grocery store or out of her front yard, maybe that could be said. But what we never, ever think about doing is plotting and planning to break into someone's home in the middle of the night to steal someone's child. That is what a crazy person does, infertility just being the catalyst to their actions. They were sick before infertility, not the other way around.

The media has done a great job perpetrating this image of the crazy infertile. I understand that the normal, average infertile crying herself to sleep at night, or looking longingly at a newborn while trying to stifle tears does not a made for TV movie make. I get that. Boring! People want to see a wild eyed psycho infertile woman lying in wait to steal your child. She will slice your throat and rip your fetus right out of your womb. Now that is Lifetime worthy! But it is realistic? No! Does it happen? Yeah, it does. But the women that do this have problems so much deeper than infertility. Parents abuse their kids everyday but we don't assume all parents hurt their kids. Men murder their whole family but we do not assume that all will do this. So why do people make infertiles out to be the boogeyman?? Hey, maybe I should make and market the Crazy Infertile Halloween costume! Comes with a fake baby bump and machete.

So to all of you fertiles, it is okay. You don't have to fear us. We won't hurt you or your little one. Hey, what is that over there? Look!! (snatches baby and runs.......)

4 comments:

  1. I hate the way infertiles are depicted on tv & lifetime movies...really? I've been infertile for over 20 years and never once have I ever thought about kidnapping someone's child!! For goodness'sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Every Lifetime movie makes every childless couple the bad guy. It drives me crazy! Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly hate the crazy infertiles that are portrayed on TV. It truly infuriates me.

    Great piece.

    ICLW #17

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I have wanted to snatch a child from the store so many times. Not to keep but to make the parent’s realize how reckless they are being. When I see a toddler walking five feet behind his parents through the parking lot and the parents aren’t watching him at all, or when I see a toddler alone in the aisle at walmart, I just want to snatch them up to see if the parents even notice. It makes me sick to see how careless some parents are with something so precious - their children!

    For the record. I am not a crazy infertile and I have never had a desire to actually snatch a child to keep. I just wish parents would be more careful with their little ones so as to better protect their little ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.