Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

cloth diapers STINK!

I mean as in smell, not that I don't like cloth diapering. But as much as I love cloth, there are definitely some negatives. One of which is ammonia. (the other is changing every two hours, but that is just because I am lazy ;-). Recently I changed Maddie's morning diaper and whoa! Holy singed nose hairs, people! The ammonia smell seriously burned my nose and throat. And her tiny little bum. I have had the diaper pail smell of ammonia but never the actual diaper. And once it starts it does not get better. All of her microfiber and hemp inserts began to reek to high heaven. Some of the diapers did as well. I could handle the smell but not it burning her bum. That was unacceptable! So I stripped them with Dawn dish soap, tried vinegar, washed in bleach a few times, rinsed a ton, and nothing was helping. I went to the CD store near me to get something and the product they had there was almost $20. I chose CDs to save money and to pay $20 for something that may or may not work was not going to happen. So I asked one of the workers their opinion and she was awesome!! She told me that the pet store would have what I needed for a fraction of the cost. Apparently ammonia remover for aquariums have the same ingredients as the CD stuff. Hmph! Who knew?

So for less than $4 I bought some ammonia remover from Wally World and gave it a try. I soaked all of my dipes and inserts in hot water and 2 tabs of ammonia remover (some are liquid but mine were tablets). I soaked for about 4-5 hours and then did 2 cold rinses, one regular wash cycle and two more rinses just to make sure I got them good and clean. When I pulled them out of the washer I immediately noticed that they smelled like, well......nothing. No stinkies. No ammonia. Nothing!! So far so good!! They are drying right now and I will try a diaper tonight to see how things go.

So, for those that are CDing be prepared for ammonia. It can happen at any time. Some never get the yucky smell, but most do. I went 12 months before it happened to me. Others it happens within a few months. I am not really sure why is happens (I have read several opinions, but nothing conclusive yet. I am leaning towards bacteria in the dipes causing it, but not certain). If you find that your diapers start to burn your nose hairs head out to your local Wally World or pet store and get you some ammonia remover for aquariums. Your nose and baby's bum will thank you for it!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip!! I Was CD my twins but had the same issue and the burring of the bottoms :( tried and tried to fix it but started using pampers to heal their bottoms! I'll try that hope it works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the tips!!! We're CD'ing and haven't dealt with the ammonia yet but I'm just waiting for it to come up, glad to have this info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! We CD and thus far have been fortunate to not have stink issues- yet. If we do, I will be sure to try this!

    ICLW #99

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tip!!! I have been cloth diapers for almost 20months. LOVE it but as you said their are some negatives. I am going to go over to Wally World and pick some of that stuff up. We have had some recent diaper rash issues but I think that was due to Daycare not changing him often enough.

    Happy ICLW #21

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.