Our journey through infertility, failed adoptions and now parenthood through the miracle of embryo adoption/donation.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

RSV and her 5th ear infection

Photobucket

I have MIA lately because Maddie has been keeping me super busy. Two weeks ago she was diagnosed with an infection in both of her ears. This was her 4th one and by far the worst one. The doctor gave her a stronger antibiotic and within a few days she was feeling like her old self. Last Thursday, the last day of her antibiotic, she was acting funny again so I took her in just in case. I was so happy to hear that she was perfectly healthy!

On Friday night she slept horribly. I mean really bad!!! It took 10 hours for either of us to get 5 hours of sleep. She never slept more than 2 hours at any given time. On Saturday night hubby was going to get up with her so I could sleep. I had a full day planned on Sunday and really needed my rest. So what does Maddie do? She slept! For 12 straight hours!!!! It was great for me, but why couldn't she do that on a night when it was my turn to get up?!?!?

Sunday morning she woke up in a great mood. Sunday afternoon I noticed that she had a runny nose, but it was clear so I thought nothing of it. She spent the afternoon with our pastor and his wife and when we got her back that evening she was tired but seemed fine. After evening service she was sound asleep (which is unusual for her) and woke on the way home. I knew that she was sick then. She was glassy eyed. She had a fever of 101. I thought, here we go again....another ear infection!

Monday she began coughing but it was not too bad. We were giving her Tylenol and Motrin throughout the day and both nights had the humidifier running. She woke up Tuesday the same. I called to make her an appointment but the doctor was out that day so I made it for today (Wednesday). I laid her down for a nap and an hour later she woke up and I knew something was wrong. Her breathing just didn't sound right. I was planning on waiting until her appointment but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong so we took her the Urgent Care. As soon as the doctor walked in she said that she did not like the sound of her breathing at all. They took her for x-rays immediately and praise God she does not have pneumonia!! But she does have a bad case of RSV and is on breathing treatments every 4 hours. She also has another ear infection and is on an antibiotic. And a steroid for the RSV.

She is doing better and as long as we keep up with her breathing treatments. If we miss them at all she sounds wheezy. Next week we see an ENT to discuss tubes. I am excited about this!!! At first I was scared but after being on antibiotics for 50 days over the past 4 months we are ready for tubes!

So that catches you up on where I have been. I hope to get back to blogging regularly soon.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, poor little baby :( I hope she makes a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about you. Sorry your baby has been sick! Praying she gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby! PRayers for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. Praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, the poor kiddo! I hope she gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor baby! So sorry to hear this! I will keep you all in my prayers. Good luck with the tubes, I bet you're all ready for some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh NO! Having a sick baby is seriously the worst! So sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear how rough things have been! A friend of mine had a 3 month old with RSV about this time last year and she was on the breathing treatments too. I just took Abby in to the doctor on Tuesday and we ended up at the ER checking for pneumonia and RSV too (which she didn't have, just an ear infection!). Praying Maddie heals quickly and you all get the rest you need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry she's been so sick. I thought I'd let you know that my oldest had one ear infection after another. I wish I'd know then that our chiropractor (we started going to him when Chris was 7) would've been able to check his alignment and do a simple adjustment that could've really helped him. I wish I would've known this then as all the antibiotics has left him with a really sensitive stomach. I know you don't need anything else to worry about with now. I remember many long nights and trips to ER with croup. And our nebulizer went everywhere with us. But once she gets over this bug, ask around and see if anyone knows of a good chiropractor that you could just talk to even. Hang in there! This too will pass! Pray'n for lots of sleep in your home. Lord knows we need it here with lots of sick ones! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They make me feel important.